Residential Recovery at Swain
Insight treats you as a whole person, so we will work alongside you in a residential setting to ensure you get the care you need to begin your journey toward health.
Our holistic approach supports your physical, mental, and spiritual health.
You can expect residential care for 42 days that includes counseling, medication-assisted treatment (if it’s right for you), education classes, and recreation and arts therapy. This unique setting provides a valuable recovery community.
Swain Recovery Center is not a locked facility; residents are here by choice. The recovery programs at Swain are voluntary and confidential, based on the results of a comprehensive clinical assessment. Our treatment allows you to focus solely on your substance use and mental health, without distraction from most of life’s daily stress. By living on campus, we can support you 24 hours a day.
Robert B. Swain Recovery Center is nestled in beautiful Black Mountain, North Carolina as part of the larger Black Mountain Neuro-Medical Treatment Center. Our residents can enjoy the mountain terrain, scenic views, and plenty of outdoor activities.
For nearly 30 years, Swain has helped people like you who struggle with substance use and mental illness. Our staff are compassionate and trained experts to help you along your path to wellness and recovery.
We understand there are unique challenges in various stages of life, and our goal is to connect you with people who can support you in a healthy way. We always provide direct supervision of the Swain community and are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for our residents.
- Physical, mental, and social evaluation
- Psychiatric care
- Group counseling (gender identity-specific groups)
- Family education, therapy, multi-family group therapy
- Educational classes, discussions, and presentations
- Art, nature, and recreation therapy
- Connections to area self-help recovery programs
- Referral to aftercare services and follow up after discharge
I am thinking about contacting Swain Recovery Center. What can I expect?
- We will have a friendly and helpful person answer the phone.
- You will answer a few questions to help determine if you are qualified and/or need Swain’s services.
- If our staff determines Swain’s programs would be a good fit for you, then you can expect to schedule a more in-depth discussion over the phone to help us understand your specific needs.
- You will need to provide us with information about your medication(s) and/or doctor’s orders or care instructions.
- If you are contacting us about a teen, then you must be a legal guardian.
How do I pay? Do you take insurance?
If you live in the western part of North Carolina, you do not have to have health insurance to enroll at Swain. We have special funding to assist you, and you will meet with a finance manager to help you.
If you have health insurance, you can enroll at Swain regardless of whether you live in western North Carolina or not. We have financial counselors to help you get the most from your health coverage.
We give priority admission if you are pregnant, an intravenous drug user, are at risk of HIV/AIDS or tuberculosis (TB), or have opioid management treatment needs.
“My stay at Swain helped me develop belief in myself and know that I could be a productive member of my community.”